March 22, 2010

Favorite Quotes

Kids are funny. Usually without meaning to be. It's actually one of my favorite things about my job. Sometimes the humor is what gets me through tough days :-)

I'm not sure if the quotes are still funny out of context, maybe it's the way the kids say it that makes it so remarkably hilarious. I think their mannerisms definitely add to the humor. Either way, I'll share.

My most favorite quotes from the last week:

Background: I had a few kids in from lunch recess and we heard a high pitched, giddy scream from outside the window. One boy asked who was screaming. I told him that I wasn't sure. The next little boy insisted it must be a girl. His response below:
"Girls scream when they're chased. That's why boys don't like chasing girls; we like peace and quiet." -- 7 year old boy

Background: We were starting a unit on explorers, so we were discussing places we would like to explore and what an explorer is.
Me: "Boys and girls, raise your hand if you can name a famous explorer."
(long pause... no one could think of one)
8 year old boy (said with pride, he was not trying to be funny): Chuck Norris
Me: Ummm... ok ..... anyone else? (longer pause) How about Columbus, anyone heard of Columbus.... (no response)
Same boy: No, Chuck Norris!
Me: Ok, today I'm going to teach you about Columbus...

My all time favorite quote from last year (or at least the one I remember the best) was when one of my little boy's hair was getting a little long. He grabbed his shaggy sideburns and said, "Look Mrs. Hynst, I'm starting to grow a beard!" He totally thought that a beard grows down your face from your sideburns instead of from your actual face.

Sometimes their quotes aren't funny, but very sweet. I have one little girl who always tells me how nice I am. She told me whoever is in my family is very lucky (she also told Jirik that he was lucky to have me when he came in to help one day, haha). One day she even told me that she wished I was her mom (that made me pretty sad, because she has a mom). She frequently asks me why I don't have kids. I always tell her that I'm saving up money, but I plan to someday. Today she told me when I do have kids they will be very lucky and I'll be a great mom. She is such a sweet little girl, and I wish she felt more love at home.

Overall gist of the post:
These kids sometimes drive me a little crazy, but they are funny and/or sweet just often enough to make it all worth it :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

previous Next home